Ten Fascinating English Words
Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble.
~ Yehuda Berg
I have always been fascinated with English words and passionately love to dabble with words, words make us connect with our thought and it flows. It is an intrinsically delightful moment when the deep thought meets the defining word for the perfect expression.
Expressions are the essence of our existence, without the avenue to express and the vehicle of word, the voice is a mere vacuum. Words fill the vacuum and the voice gets the vehicle. It is only due to the inherent profoundness residing in each word. Such has been the subtle power to express we always search for the right word to connect with our thought and there is always a degree of disconnect.
Also with rapid evolution of society comes with it the change in life and lifestyle, which needs newer words to weave the wave of change and catch the style. This phenomenon of creation of new words and still in the process of entering the vocabulary is called as Neologism. It is quite amazing, the way new words get added to the lexicon. The number of words in English language has crossed the millionth mark five years back and it was the year 2009, and the millionth word very interestingly and coincidently was “web 2.0” epitomizing the digital revolution as per Global Language Monitor.
The list of words is pretty long; it happens that many words we never use and there are few words we fall in love for its meaning or its manifestation or its phonetics that we surreptitiously look for. We all have our fascination for those few words which we love to hear, read and use in our speaking and writing. The question how to pick ten out of a million words is unquestionably a million dollar question.
Notwithstanding the magnitude of English glossary, I have stood the challenge and managed to remove six zeros from the list of million and here is my list of ten fascinating words…
- Serendipity – An occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way
- Epiphany – A moment of great revelation or sudden realization
- Clairvoyance – clair meaning “clear” and second part voyance meaning “vision”
- Oxymoron – Two words deliberately imply each other’s opposite
- Epistemology – An aspect of philosophy, the knowledge of what we know
- Ontology – A branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being
- Metaphor – A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else
- Euphemism – An artificial, highly elaborate way of writing or speaking
- Paradox – It describes an idea composed of concepts that conflict
10. Anecdote – A short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person
I would love to hear yours and the thought of exploring your ten fascinating words are more exciting for me. Though these words sounds intricate but it conveys the complexity of life in a fairly simple but rarely sufficient manner…