Blogging in Schooling – Digital Disruption in Education
Blogging is one of the most innovative technology tools of 21st century to engage learners and educators in an interesting and much more interactive manner. The conventional teaching methods and learning engagement is undergoing a radical change. The change has to be positive.
Teaching and Learning has to be rich in content and reach a wider audience.
Blogging is profoundly impacting the very core of education engagement, improving the overall learning and teaching process. The processes itself are in a state of transformation, there is a fundamental shift taking place in the digital age.
Digital Technology is playing a significant role in altering the way education is being delivered and managed in schools. Blackboards have become whiteboards. The boards per se have become interactive in nature and multimedia is making it interesting. Teachings are not anymore a one-to-many one way communication but have become many-to-many collaborative communication. Learning are not textbook-centric it has become technology centric and technology is driving the change in teaching and the way it’s being learned.
Learning is not limited to classroom.
Boundaries have blurred and the world has become an extended class. Physical boundaries are just notional in nature and virtual space is the new learning platform. Learning has become highly collaborative. Learning also has become personalized.
Technology is changing the basic ground rules of running a school.
It is a virtual playground. Rules are being re-defined. The conventions are being broken and it is being done rampantly and rapidly. There is very little time to think and reflect. The need of the hour is to quickly embrace and adapt to the changing technology trends.
Technology itself is undergoing a tectonic shift and the impact of its application is equally significant across the board.
“It is not static but dynamic.”
“It is not rigid but flexible.”
This technology platform provides the flexibility to embed many other useful tools to enhance the utility value and productivity of the users.
- Blogging is assisting students to ICT literate which is crucial for twenty-first century skill. Internet safety is such an important aspect of the online learning system where the users need to be aware of the cyber danger and knowing the safety measures and applying it appropriately is equally essential.
- Blogging is an excellent way to learn about being a responsible member of the online community. In the traditional classroom the only audience for students was classmates and the teachers teaching them.
- Blogging has the potential to flatten the physical boundary, the confinement of four walls of classroom which has been the convention of the previous century.
- Blogging provides a larger and diverse audience to interact and engage and learn through collaboration and continuous feedback from rich audience spread across the globe.
In blogging, along with the writing skills comes the clear knowledge acquisition on Information Technology, it also provides a fascinating platform for social engagement and considerably enhancing the social skills of students which is so important in learning the lessons of life that the student learn.
Information Technology has become second nature to the life of a student and teacher cannot teach effectively without using technology.
Blogging in school curriculum is a necessity which will make learning technology an integral part of the teaching process. These aspects can no more be demarcated. Technology teaching should not restrict to technology subject and technology class.
“Technology learning is today an applied learning.”
“Today it is learning by applying the technology.”
Blogging is not limited to language and writing but it has its strong reach and expands the horizon of learning across subjects from mathematics to geography to science. Information Technology needn’t be taught separately but taught through the applications of technology across the subjects. Blogging is a fascinating technology tool and dissecting the product architecture and analyzing the design to the database to the deployment framework makes the learning process much more interesting.
Blogging as a comprehensive tool facilitates the improvement and effectiveness of learning process through fostering knowledge creation, deep reflection, wide collaboration and purposeful conversations.
Blogging as a technology tool can be calibrated to the pace and space of teaching and learning process. Technology learning can be cultivated through the application of the tool in the teaching process. Blogging can be a common platform for knowledge creation, knowledge gathering, knowledge dissemination and knowledge management in this platform can be the epicenter of learning for school. The stakeholders from students to teachers to parents to educators can seamlessly connect, communicate, collaborate and share knowledge making it truly a knowledge platform.
The power of knowledge lies in sharing not it hoarding.
Blogging platform this provides that vehicle to transfer and transport knowledge between students, between teachers, between schools across countries and continents.
Education Blogs have the inherent potential to change the dynamics of education ecosystem. Blogs have acquired different dimensions from a class bog to student blog to teacher blog to school blog. Many schools as part of their website may have blogs but that is used more as a content marketing tool rather than learning and teaching tool.
- Teachers may have their own personal blogs to promote their passion or Teacher Blog. Similarly, many students may have their own personal blogs to propagate their area of interest. Very few schools, almost negligible number of schools may be using blogging as part of their overall teaching and learning strategy across the school curriculum.
- Class Blog can become an important instrument of change in the classroom and equally outside the classroom. It is about designing an overall strategy for introducing blogging as a tool for teaching and learning in school and the goals to be met in the process of implementation.
Blogging is used as an informal method in the school, it needs to be formal.
Today it is treated as a separate part from the curriculum; it needs to be an integral part of the school curriculum. There is a lack of proper knowledge and understanding of how to strategize and deploy blogging as a collaborative tool, as a interactive tool, as a communicative tool, as a knowledge tool, as a learning tool, as a teaching tool and as a tool that has the intrinsic potential to transform the education delivery is managed in schools.
Blogging is emerging as one of the most important development in technologically advanced 21st century learning and working enviornment. However education has yet to fully tap the latent potential and the vast possibilities this technology platform called as “Blogosphere” harbors that can change the fundamental course and the very foundation of education management. Just going back to our good old days where all our writing had limited readership and it was confined to the teachers or the parents and rarely did it have the wings to go outside the classroom and to reach a larger and wider readership. The lifespan were invariably shorted and the readership was never broadened. The article or an essay or a story written by students ends up in the school storehouse or the teacher’s cupboard and never ever had the opportunity to see the light in the future.
Storytelling was confined and told stories went to hibernation.
It is no more the end of any story, today with the interactive and connecting platform of blogging, the student can make the work of creativity reach far and wide and obtain multiple feedback and views that change the student’s complete perspective. It opens a window of opportunity that is immeasurable and the impact is instant. Practice of blogging is yet to catch up in India though it has already have made deeper inroad and better deployment in schools abroad and changing the way student learn and teachers teach.
- Blogging is providing an authentic learning opportunity and exposing students and teachers to a global audience.
- Blogging is source of diverse knowledge and there are so many blogging sites that teachers and students just read and tap that global source of knowledge repository and reap immense benefit to the learning and teaching process in a class.
- Blogging becomes the guide for digital citizenship lessons from internet usage and safety to learning the etiquette of virtual life on the digital space to knowing the various aspects of copyrights on digital property and the means to exercise control on digital footprints.
- Blogging provides a wonderful source of creative content through creativity and conversations through commenting. Both the writer and reader gets an exposure to the new techniques and tools like hyperlinks to other sources to embedding images and videos to text that makes reading and writing in this digital space interestingly interactive and truly engaging.
- Blogging creates an online learning community that is global and provides the space for collaborative learning which takes learning and teaching to a deeper and wider engagement.
“Blogging in Schooling” is having a paradigm shift in the way information technology is getting used in the teaching and learning process.